Hello, I’m Shenara.
I am a curl specialist based in Auckland, New Zealand. I am a Sri Lankan-born New Zealander on a mission to empower men, women and children to embrace their natural hair.
Please note: I am not an expert, nor do I consider myself to be one. As human beings, the moment we stop learning is the moment we stop improving. My promise as a curl specialist is to never stop learning. Everyday is full of new experiences and new lessons. I am simply an emerging curl specialist who spends a lot of time, energy and money investing in further education, practicing my craft and trying to find new ways to improve. I take inspiration from nature, music and fine art.
My natural hair journey led me to embrace and celebrate my heritage and shine a light on the importance of inclusion, visibility and diversity in the beauty industry.
I am here to act as a guide on your natural hair journey. I want to help you wear your natural hair with confidence.
What You Can Expect From Me
1. I begin by educating my clients. It is my #1 priority. Your first appointment with is full of information, education, tips and tricks to help you start on your journey of embracing your natural hair. Additionally, I allocate time one-on-one to get to know you, your hair history and your hair goals. Whether it is your first time or sixth time visiting me, I strive to answer all your questions, address any concerns you may have and provide some tips and tricks that you can try out at home.
2. I only recommend products that I have used on myself as well as curly hair clients. Additionally, I use plant based ingredients paired with simple techniques to help you achieve your healthy hair goals. Once you start using the right products for curly hair, you will be amazed at the results you get.
3. I keep it simple. Not everyone has the luxury of spending a lot of time on their hair. I keep hair care routines simple and easy, to suit today’s busy lifestyle – it will simply be a part of your self-care routine.
4. ♫ All we need is just a little patience. ♫ There is definitely a ‘transition period’. Think of it as a weight loss journey. Some people have instant results, others take time to see significant results. It usually comes down to whether your hair has been damaged from heat (constant use of hot tools and/or over-processed hair from colour/lightening services.
5. I like to remind my beautiful guests that the curly girl method is your guide, not your master. It simply gives you the knowledge and tools you need to achieve healthy, happy curls. There is an abundance of different methods, techniques, products, tools, etc. If you would like to incorporate new things into your routine, you are more than welcome to. That is why I encourage everyone to experiment and find their ‘happy place’ with products and technique.
Curl Experience & Education
- Worked full time at a curly hair salon: Haylo Hair & Beauty in NSW, Australia for over one year, under the expertise of two curl specialists – Hayley and Coventry. She began with perfecting her client consultation and providing curl education. Her hands on learning began at the basin, learning how to properly cleanse, hydrate, style and dry curly hair. As she progressed, she began training in cutting, colouring and lightening curly hair and began practicing and working on models as a curl apprentice.
Hayley and Coventry affectionately called Shenara their ‘curl prodigy’ when referring to her in the salon and to their curly clientele. The bar was set high and Shenara was allowed to begin working on the floor alongside the two curl specialists once they were both confident that she was prepared to take on her own clientele. They invested all their time, energy, money and resources to help Shenara become an emerging curl specialist in Australia. It is important to note that the support from curly hair models and clients that provided feedback and a safe, nurturing environment allowed Shenara to truly flourish and grow as a stylist.
1. Hayley is a curl specialist and wavy girl herself. She is certified by Lorraine Massey and is an experienced hairdressing educator. She hand-picked Shenara during her studies for Certificate III in Hairdressing and trained Shenara from curl apprentice to curl specialist. Hayley works full time as a curl specialist in her salon.
2. Coventry is a self-taught curly hairdresser that is also a qualified educator and gave Shenara hands-on training.
- MAP Method – Scott Musgrave
- CHAMP – Curly Hair Artistry Mastery Program by Scott Musgrave
- Curly Hair Cutting & Styling Techniques with Evan Joseph Curls from Evan Joseph Salon in Ohio, U.S.A.
- Curly Hair Styling Techniques with Loni Jean from Desert Curl Studio in Nevada, U.S.A.
- UPCOMING EDUCATION from curl specialists and curl artists (includes modified CG curl artists) such as Leysa Carillo – Forever Curls Education and Nubia Suarez – Rezo Hair Academy.
Testimonial– Sarina O.
Not only do you finally find someone who understands how to treat curly hair you also have the best time whilst you know your curls are in the best hands 🥰 Highly recommend Shenara!
Services and Price List
The only curl specialist in Auckland to exclusively service natural textures.
Check out the Curly Hair Menu today.